- This event has passed.
Basket Making: Williamsburg Carrying Basket
June 15, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$100.00
Time: 9 am to 5 pm
Materials/studio fee: $40 payable to instructor
Meals: Lunch featuring our farm grown food is included
Instructor: Wendy Jensen
Workshop Size: This workshop can accommodate up to 12 students and needs a minimum of 6 to be held.
Long before there were cardboard boxes, paper bags, and plastic bins, baskets were used to carry just about everything. The variety of techniques used to make baskets include twining, coiling, weaving, and plaiting.
In this workshop participants will be using basic weaving techniques to make “Wendy’s Williamsburg Carrying Basket.” At 13″ high x 12″ in diameter, it is a perfect utilitarian basket woven around a sturdy, pre-formed handle.
The basket starts with a square bottom and the walls are woven using a chase (continuous) weave with an emphasis on shaping as you progress up the sides. To finish off the top of the basket, students will learn how to fit the rim and scarf the overlapping ends to create a smooth transition. The basket is finished off with a double lashing to keep the rim secure. If time allows, students can decorate the handle using a variety of patterned weaves such as the one pictured.
This workshop is open to all levels of experience.
- To learn more about our instructors, click here .
- If you are traveling from afar and would like to learn about housing at Sanborn Mills Farm, click here . If you decide you would like to stay at the farm after registering, please contact the office at 603-435-7314 weekdays between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm to check on availability.
For more information on the baskets of New England:
- Essay on Ash Basket Making on the NH Folklife website: http://www.nh.gov/folklife/learning-center/traditions/ash-basket-making.htm
- Heritage Art Build-A-Picture puzzle on the NH Folklife website: http://www.nh.gov/folklife/learning-center/activities/ashbaskets-activity.htm
- The History of Northeast baskets: http://www.support-native-american-art.com/northeast-baskets.html
- University of New Hampshire online exhibit: https://cola.unh.edu/center-new-england-culture/baskets