Times: 8 am to 4 pm daily
Materials/studio fee: Included in tuition cost
Meals: A hearty breakfast & lunch using our farm grown food is included!
Instructors: Tim Huppe with Tyler Allen, John Schlang & Greg Wright
Maximum Number of Students: 8
This two-day workshop will cover selecting a team or a single ox for the type work intended, halter training, basic commands, and proper yoking and fitting. Training stations will be set up to allow participants to work with cattle on different pieces of equipment including a cart, logging scoot, forecart, go-devil, and we will also ground twitch. The instructors will demonstrate the navigation of a team and equipment, while explaining proper body language, position, and voice commands.
Once participants are familiar with the commands, they will drive teams along Sanborn Mills Farm and woods roads under the supervision of our experienced teamsters. Throughout the workshop, participants will engage in meaningful work typical to a working farm including hauling firewood and saw logs. There will be discussions on feeding, grooming, conditioning, trailering cattle, health, nutrition, and more.
Much of the training will be based upon the day-to-day work at Sanborn Mills Farm where a wide range of materials are moved using an ox cart. Cut and split firewood is hauled from the woodlot to the woodsheds; sawdust is hauled from the water-powered sawmill to the livestock barns; compost is hauled to the gardens; and stones are picked and hauled from the fields to the stone walls. In the course of this work, ox teams cross over two wooden bridges.
The workshop will move along at a pace that is agreeable with the participants. Instructors will take time to work safely and explain each function in detail. Breakfast & lunch will be provided daily and participants are encouraged to share stories and ask questions during meals.
If you would like to bring a team to the farm, please contact Tim Huppe at 603-568-7388 at least 3 weeks prior to the workshop start date, to discuss the possibility and determine if it is appropriate to bring them.
Out-of-state cattle must have a state health certificate.
NO “intact” bulls over the age of 8 months are permitted on the farm.
All oxen workshop participants are asked to fill out a Questionnaire so that instructors can tailor the workshop to experience level and needs.
Note: Please use the back arrow to return to this page!
Please email or mail your responses at least 3 weeks before the workshop start date to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sanborn Mills Farm c/o Tim Huppe, 7097 Sanborn Rd, Loudon, NH 03307
- As this workshop is held outside, registrants will be contacted 48 hours prior to the scheduled date if the workshop needs to be canceled or postponed due to weather conditions.
- This workshop can accommodate up to 8 students and needs a minimum of 4 to be held.
- Participants must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Breakfast & lunch will be provided daily and participants are encouraged to share stories and ask questions during meals.
- We urge students to register at least one month before the workshop start date.
- A minimum of a one-day deposit is required with registration.
- Cancellations received at least two weeks before the start date of the workshop will receive a refund, minus a $25 non-refundable registration fee.
- Classes without a minimum number of students may be cancelled and a full refund will be provided.
Click here to learn more about our instructors.
Click here if traveling from afar and in need of housing.