Adirondack Pack Basket
September 24, 2022 @ 9:00 am - September 25, 2022 @ 5:00 pm$175.00
Adirondack Pack Basket
Saturday, September 24th – Sunday, September 25th
9:00am – 5:00pm
Create your own Sightseer Pack Basket patterned from the traditional Adirondack ash pack baskets, one of the region’s most recognized basketry forms. Students will use reed in this workshop. These versatile baskets were used to carry just about everything the guides, hunters and trappers took with them into the woods. At 16” high x 8 ½” deep x 11” wide, the Sightseer Adirondack Pack is a great size for teens and adults. Students will create baskets from reed and finish them with a leather or woven web harness.
On the first day, students weave a plain-weave base with the pre-cut spokes. Then, they will weave the sides. Linda will be guiding students as they concentrate on shape, creating a belly while learning to continuous weave. These steps comprise the main weaving. Baskets will then sit and dry overnight.
On the second day, students will pack baskets tight, level the top, weave a false rim, cut and tuck spokes, insert a handle, fit the rim to the basket, and then lash the rim. The last step will be to add either an adjustable cotton or leather harness as the pack shoulder straps, which will be secured with skids. Owing to time constraints, baskets will not be sealed or stained during the workshop, but instructions will be given on how to complete this step at home.
All tools and materials are provided. Students will be using a drawknife and other sharp tools.
Comfortable clothing is recommended.
Please note the material fee for harnesses. Harness choice must be made two weeks prior to class to ensure that Linda has time to make each student’s piece.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Weave a plain-weave base with pre-cut spokes
- Create a belly while learning to continueous weave
- Pack baskets tight, level the top
- Weave a false rim and cut and tuck spokes
- Insert a handle
- Fit the rim to the basket
- Lash the rim
- Add an adjustable cottno or leather harness secured with skids
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- All tools and materials are provided
- Students should be prepared to use a drawknife and other sharp tools
- Comfortable clothing is recommended
- Cotton Harness $102.00 or Leather Harness $142.00 paid at the time of workshop
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$175.00 / per student