Adirondack Pack Basket
September 24 @ 9:00 am - September 25 @ 5:00 pm$175.00
Adirondack Pack Basket
Saturday, September 24th – Sunday, September 25th
9:00am – 5:00pm
The Adirondack Pack Basket is one of the most recognized objects associated with the Adirondacks. These versatile baskets were used to carry just about everything the guides, hunters, and trappers took with them into the woods. This will be a weekend of weaving your utilitarian pack. Create your own utilitarian pack basket patterned from the traditional Adirondack Pack Baskets.
On the first day, students weave a plain weave base with the pre-cut reed spokes and then weave the sides. Linda will be guiding students as they concentrate on shape, creating a belly while learning to continuous weave. The main weaving will be done the first day. The baskets will sit and dry overnight. On the second day, students will pack baskets tight, level the top, weave a false rim, cut and tuck spokes, insert a handmade oak handle, and fit the rim to the basket, and lash rim. Lastly, students will add an adjustable webbing or leather harness secured with skids. Linda will guide you and teach you many tips and techniques. Students will be using a drawknife and other sharp tools. Baskets will not be stained during class.
This class will be fun and accessible for all levels of weavers.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Weave a plain-weave base with pre-cut spokes
- Create a belly while learning to continueous weave
- Pack baskets tight, level the top
- Weave a false rim and cut and tuck spokes
- Insert a handle
- Fit the rim to the basket
- Lash the rim
- Add an adjustable cottno or leather harness secured with skids
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- All tools and materials are provided
- Students should be prepared to use a drawknife and other sharp tools
- Comfortable clothing is recommended
- Materials Fee varies with size of pack.
- Harness and Pack size choices must be made three weeks prior to class to allow time for making
- Pack size choices: Hiker, Sightseer, Mountaineer
- Dimensions: 6” x 9” x 14”H
- Webbing harness $79.00
- Leather harness $105.00
- Dimensions: 8 ½” x11” x 16”H
- Webbing harness $110.00
- Leather harness $158.00
- Dimensions: 9” x 12” x 20”H
- Webbing harness $129.00
- Leather harness $168.00
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$175.00 / per student