- This event has passed.
September 30 @ 8:00 am - October 2 @ 4:00 pm
Friday, September 30th- Sunday, October 2nd
8:00am – 4:00pm
Blacksmithing Basics is for students who are new to blacksmithing and those with some experience looking to improve their skillset. All students in the course will work with a traditional coal forge and mild steel. Students will begin with an introduction to body mechanics, metallurgy, and safety. Once in the studio, students will learn to start and manage a coal-fired forge. Attention will be given to how to maximize draft, prepare and manage the coal-fuel, and distinguish the right temperature for various forge processes. Hammering techniques will be demonstrated. As the workshop progresses, different forging techniques will be covered including drawing out, upsetting, punching, slitting, drifting, and forge welding. Students will then apply these skills to create a gate hook, trivet, and chisel. If time allows, additional projects can be explored, such as a fire poker or toasting fork. Those who have some previous blacksmithing experience are welcome to undertake a special project for more in-depth instruction. All special projects must be discussed with instructor Kalajian before the course.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Work with a traditional coal forge and mild steel
- Body mechanics, metallurgy, and safety
- Start and manage a coal-fired forge
- Maximize draft, prepare and manage coal-fuel
- Distinguish the right temperature for various forge processes
- Various forging techniques will be explored
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require masks depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$375.00 / per student
7097 Sanborn Road
Loudon, New Hampshire 03307