- This event has passed.
Blacksmithing Door Hardware
September 9 @ 8:00 am - September 11 @ 4:00 pm$375.00
Blacksmithing: Door Hardware
Friday, September 9th – Sunday, September 11th
8:00am – 4:00pm
In this workshop, students will utilize blacksmithing techniques to create a variety of useful and decorative door hardware pieces. Students will create pieces based on their interest, personal style, and skill level. If students would like to discuss projects prior to the workshop, please email Marsha Grizwin at email@example.com to connect with instructor Garry Kalajian. Examples of possible projects include a door knocker, door pull, thumb latch, strap hinges, or hasp.
This workshop is open to all levels of smiths, but does cover detailed and fine smithing work. Students should have experience working with a coal forge. The photos listed below are a sample of instructor Garry Kalajian’s commissioned door hardware pieces. Students may choose to use these pieces and others for inspiration, but should note the end product may differ based on the student’s skill level.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Work with a traditional coal forge
- Body mechanics, metallurgy, and safety
- Start and manage a coal-fired forge
- Maximize draft, prepare and manage coal-fuel
- Distinguish the right temperature for various forge processes
- Forging process
- Detailed smithing work required for forging and shaping door hardware elements
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- Students may bring forge tools they would prefer to use over those at Sanborn Mills Farm
- All materials and supplies are included in registration cost
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require masks depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$375.00 / per student