- This event has passed.
Flax to Linen: Handspinning Flax into Linen Yarn
July 15 @ 9:00 am - July 16 @ 5:00 pm$225.00
Flax to Linen: Hand Spinning Flax into Linen Yarn
Friday, July 15th – Saturday, July 16th
9:00am – 5:00pm
Flax in the Field is part of our Flax to Linen mini series, which teaches students to grow, process, and spin flax to linen, taught by Andrea Myklebust.
In the second of this two-workshop series, students will explore the process of hand spinning flax fiber to create linen yarn. We will work with both tow and line flax fibers, learn how to make a simple distaff, dress it with flax, and spin, using both hand spindles and spinning wheels. No prior spinning experience is required for this workshop, but experienced spinners are welcome, and are encouraged to bring a wheel if they wish.
This workshop is a companion class to Flax in the Field which is being held immediately prior to this workshop. Students are welcome to sign up for one or both of these workshops.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- How to prepare both flax and tow fibers for spinning
- How to dress a distaff
- How to ‘wet spin’ flax fiber
- How to scour and wet finish handspun linen yarn
- How to use either a contemporary or antique spinning wheel for spinning flax to linen
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- No special tools or equipment are required for this workshop, but students should wear easy-to-move-in clothing and comfortable shoes
- If a student has samples of their own flax that they have grown and processed, they are welcome to bring this along to our class
- If a student wishes to bring their own wheel to the workshop, they are welcome to do so
- If a student is unsure whether their wheel will work for flax, please contact the instructor prior to the start of class to discuss
- $24.00 paid at time of workshop
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$225.00 / per student