- This event has passed.
Blacksmithing Make a Hand Axe – Full
May 6 @ 8:00 am - May 8 @ 4:00 pm$400.00
Make a Hand Axe
Friday, May 6th – Sunday, May 8th
8:00am – 4:00pm
This Workshop is full. You may join the waitlist or find a similar workshop on a different date.
In this three-day workshop, students will make a one-pound hand ax that can be used at home, in the woodshed, or on all of your outdoor adventures. The first two days will be spent forging the ax head out of salvaged steel. After completing the basic shape, it will be heat-treated and sharpened. On the third day, students will use hand tools to hang the handle, carving and securing it to the ax head. Students will then be able to try their ax out on a small woodworking project. If time permits, students will make a protective sheath out of rawhide. Along the way there will be discussions on ax design, basic metallurgy and heat treating, as well as how to use an ax safely and effectively. Experience with a coal-fired forge and basic forging techniques will be helpful, but beginners who are up for a challenge are also welcome.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Forge an axe head out of salvaged steel
- Heat-treat and sharp the forved axe blade
- Use hand tools to hang, carve, and secure axe head
- Some woodworking
- Make a protective sheath out of raw hide, if time permits
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- Students may bring forge tools they would prefer to use over those at Sanborn Mills Farm
- $35.00 paid at the time of workshop
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$400.00 / per student