- This event has passed.
Woven Garden Obelisk and Peony Crowns in Willow – FULL
July 14 @ 9:00 am - July 15 @ 5:00 pm$175.00
Woven Garden Obelisk and Peony Crowns in Willow
July 14th – July 15th
9:00am – 5:00pm
This Workshop is full. You may join the waitlist or find a similar workshop on a different date.
In this workshop, students learn traditional weaving techniques while creating garden supports and focal pieces. Students will use willow grown at Sanborn Mills and weave obelisks and peony crowns through a modern cosmopolitan combination of traditional weaves: Irish mouth wale, French randing, three-rod wale, Japanese eye knot, and god’s eye. This workshop is suitable for beginners wanting to learn a base of weaving knowledge while making impactful pieces relatively quickly. Care and use of finished pieces will be discussed in class.
Strong hands are a must as students will be working with larger willow.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- An introduction to several weaving techniques and patterns: Irish mouth wale, French randing, three-rod wale, Japanese eye knot, God’s eye
- The “feel” of weaving with willow, a unique material in the US
- The use of willow weaving specific tools: bodkin, rapping iron, jigs, clippers in a willow context
- Identify willow in weaving
- Identify groth and processing of willow for weaving
- Create functional and beautiful 3D shapes
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- Jes Clark will supply all tools and jigs required, but students may bring these tools if they already have: bodkin, high-quality sharp pruners (Felco or similar), rapping iron, and 2-4lb weights
- $25.00 – $50.00 paid at time of workshop
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor requires all students to be vaccinated. Your instructor also reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop.
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. Please see our Housing page for options.
$175.00 / per student