- This event has passed.
Draft Animal: Oxen Basics
June 3 @ 8:00 am - June 5 @ 4:00 pm$375.00
Draft Animal: Oxen Basics
Friday, June 3rd – Sunday, June 5th
8:00am – 4:00pm
Are you considering an oxen team for your farm but wondering where to start? Join us for a two-day workshop to learn the things you need know about bringing a pair home, finding the right equipment for them, and learning how to work them. Our experienced instructors will train you in a safe and productive environment.
Students will learn the basics of selecting a team or single ox, halter training, basic commands, and proper yoking and fitting. The instructors will demonstrate the navigation of a team with equipment while explaining proper body language, position, and voice commands. Students will have the opportunity to practice navigating their team on multiple pieces of equipment. When students feel comfortable, they will drive teams throughout Sanborn Mills Farm under the supervision of our experienced teamsters. Much of the training will be based upon the day-to-day work at Sanborn Mills Farm.
Students are encouraged to bring a team to the farm and should contact Ray Ramsey at least three weeks prior to the workshop start date to discuss this possibility. Out-of-state cattle must have a state health certificate from a veterinarian. No “intact” bulls over the age of 8 months are permitted on the farm.
This workshop will be offered in the spring and summer.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Basics of selecting a team or single ox
- Halter training, basic commands, and proper yoking and fitting
- Navigation of a team with equipment
- Learn proper body language, position, and voice commands
- Practice navigating a team on multiple pieces of equipment
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- Students are encouraged to bring their own pair or single ox
- Registered students should contact instructor Ray Ramsey at email@example.com at least three weeks prior to the workshop start date to discuss this possibility
- All materials and supplies are included in registration cost
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require masks depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$375.00 / per student