Sew Your Own Quilt Coat
September 17, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$125.00
Sew Your Own Quilt Coat
Saturday, September 17th
9:00am – 5:00pm
In this workshop, students will learn how to transform a quilt that they provide into a Chore-style or Shawl Collar Coat! Instructor, Ashley Saville (owner/founder of ANEMONE) will cover the coat making process from start to finish – customizing the pattern to create the style of coat you would like, things to consider when laying out the pattern of the quilt, construction of the garment (including collar attachment and pockets), and attaching closures if desired (snaps or buttons).
Students of all skill levels are welcome, so long as they have basic knowledge of how to use a sewing machine. Ashley will work with each student at a pace they feel comfortable with to create a piece they will be able to wear for many years to come.
Please note that each student will supply the quilt to rework into a coat and their own sewing machine. See details below. If students have questions about sourcing a quilt for this workshop, Ashley will be available for questions and for recommendations in advance of the workshop.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- Pattern Reading and Customization
- Garment Construction
- How to attach snap closures or create a shawl collar
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- The quilt of your choosing that you would like to rework into a coat (light to medium weight recommended)
- Minimum quilt dimension requirement is approximately 60″x70″ and larger quilts are welcome
- Sewing machine
- Serger/Overlocker (optional, or a sewing machine that has the capability of doing a zigzag stitch or Pinking shears)
- Thread for your machine
- Fabric scissors
- Measuring tape
- Tailor’s chalk or water-soluble marker
- If you would like to use buttons on your coat, you will need to provide the buttons of your choosing and will want to bring a machine with the buttonhole function
- $5.00 for snaps if you would like to use them on your coat
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$125.00 / per student