- This event has passed.
Stake and Strand Willow Basketry-FULL
July 16 @ 9:00 am - July 17 @ 5:00 pm$175.00
Stake and Strand Willow Basketry
Saturday, July 16th- Sunday, July 17th
9:00 am- 5:00 pm
In this two-day class, open to all levels, students will learn how to make a beautiful and functional willow basket. We will discuss the basics of traditional round stake and strand willow basketry along with the methods of growing, gathering and processing willow for weaving. Students will start with twining a round base and progress through traditional techniques; three rod wale, french randing and creating a border.
Good hand strength is necessary for working with willow.
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- ·Methods of growing, gathering and processing willow for use in Basketry
- Creating a base slath and twining to form the base
- Selecting and adding side stakes.
- Three rod wale to secure base and top of basket
- French Randing to create the sides of the basket
- Turning down the border
- Additional with time: adding one or two handles
Tools + Materials
Students should bring:
- A pair of garden shears or secateurs
- A Bodkin and Rapping Iron if you have them
- $25.00 – $50.00 payable at time of workshop
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
175.00 / per student