- This event has passed.
Stenciling Basics: Stenciling Placemats- Cancelled
May 21 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$100.00
Stenciling Basics: Stenciling Placemats
Saturday, May 21st, 2022
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
In this workshop, students will learn the basics of stenciling that can be applied to any surface while making four placemats. This is a great first class for new stenciling students. The tradition of painted floor cloths has its origins in 18th century England. Making beautiful and durable floor coverings on canvas was an economical substitute for more expensive marble, tile, or wood parquet floors. During Colonial times in America they became a popular floor covering. Floor clothes added beauty and color to a room and kept drafts from coming up through floor boards during long cold winters. Learn this craft in an accessible size and then progress to larger pieces, like floorcloths!
Skills + Techniques
Students will learn:
- How to load a brush and apply paint effectively to surface
- Create a crisp border that will surround your stenciling (yes there is a trick to this!)
- Center your design
- Aging the surface of your piece if applicable
- Learn to apply the finish (top coat) that will be added later at home when your pieces are completely dry
- Please read our COVID-19 Policy prior to registering
- We are honoring each instructor’s specific COVID-19 safety requests. For this workshop, your instructor reserves the right to require additional safety requirements depending on the state of the pandemic at the time of the workshop. All unvaccinated students must wear masks
Housing + Meals
Housing and meals will be available on-site in 2022. We will let all registered students know when housing registration is open. Spots will be first-come, first serve. The option to choose meals will be open to all students. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
$100.00 / per student