Blacksmithing Basics 4
Workshop Fee: $450.00
This workshop is for students who are new to blacksmithing and those with some experience looking to improve their skillset. Basic operations will be explained and demonstrated in detail, then used to make a hook and eye and form scrolls to join with rivets for a trivet or other project. Basic metallurgy and heat treating a punch or chisel will be explained and demonstrated. Students will be shown and encouraged to try forge welding.
Skills and Techniques:
- Work with a traditional coal forge and mild steel
- Body mechanics, metallurgy, and safety
- Start and manage a coal-fired forge
- Maximize draft, prepare, and manage coal-fuel
- Distinguish the right temperature for various forge processes
- Various forging techniques will be explored
Materials Fee: Included in cost of workshop.
Special Tools or Equipment: The farm makes available to students eye and ear protection, gloves, and aprons. Comfortable closed toed shoes and street clothes are recommended. If you have forge tools you like working with you are welcome to bring them.
Workshop Policies: Please be sure to read our policies before you register for a workshop which can be found here Workshop Policies
3 in stock